Friday, July 3, 2009

The "Other" Family Members (Part 2)


My goats are truly an addiction for me. I think about them when I close my eyes at night, when the lightening and rain starts, when my eyes open in the morning and usually anytime I am zoning out. It has been such a blessing for me to get back into the dairy goat lifestyle thanks to my dear friend Jami Evans and Holly Rexroat. Both of these people make me strive to be more frugal and self-sufficient although I have so far to go still. With that being said, I would be lost without my dogs. I have always, always been the girl bringing home strays and truly adore all of God's creatures (with the exception of bats) but have a special place in my heart for my dogs. Robert and I have always had at least two dogs and any given time since we were married and currently we are ruled by four dogs. Readers of this blog have already met my Yorkie Gigantus, Bowe-Man who would seem was put on this earth to protect Robert! My second love, Rory was one of the most wonderous gifts ever given to someone, especially to me! In June of 2003 I was very sick, nearly unable to walk and suffering from 6 weeks of extreme vertigo. I spent that time mostly on the bathroom floor vomitting and praying this would go away. At the tail-end of this ordeal, my sister begged me to go look at a Yorkie puppy with her using the excuse she needed her own Bowe-Man. I could never say no to going to see a puppy, especially a Yorkshire puppy so I went with her. This tiny, tiny puppy was adorable and spent a very short time sniffing us and then proceeding to growl at anything that moved. We both fell in love with this little guy and my sister told Susan she wanted to buy him when he was ready. In the two weeks it took for the little guy to be weaned, I was at the doctor's office getting spinal taps and MRI's and then finally the diagnosis. I had Multiple Sclerosis. I was healthy, strong, had plans to finish my nursing degree at the school I had worked so hard to be accepted into........what did I do to deserve this?? I quickly ran through the gammet of emotions finally settling on sheer depression and withdrawl from life. One afternoon, my sister stopped in with who we instantly referred to as "Rory" or "Roar"y due to his love of growling like a lion cub and set him on the couch next to me. He immediately curled up next to me and from that moment on, that tiny puppy stayed beside me morning and night. He still knows when I am under the weather and will immediately come and either lie beside me or put a paw on either side of my neck for what we have termed a "Yorkie Hug". I have been so blessed to have him as my constant companion and I will be eternally grateful to my sister for using a tiny puppy to bring me out of the clouds and back into life.

1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean. Our two house cats took shifts a couple years ago when I was critically ill, one would stay beside me and the other one would go and eat, sleep, etc. I wasn't even allowed to go to the bathroom alone. When my health improved they went back to their normal routine. What a blessing animals are.

    ReplyDelete