Thursday, July 9, 2009

When good kids go bad!

Well, I have always been a believer in the idea that name given to a child may influence the person he or she becomes. An example of this phenomenon is the name Denise for me. I have known several Denises and for some reason, these women end up being very good friends in my life. I can say the handful of Denises I am thinking of right now are hard-working, sweet and honest people and probably the reason I am drawn to them as friends. Now, as a nurse, when I check back a patient named Tyler, I know, having a Tyler of my own, this kid will give me a run for my money and usually will have something logged in an appendage from a poor choice. There are exceptions to every rule but I do use the name thing as a guide. With all of that being said, yesterday I got a very interesting call from my Mother-in-law asking if I was missing two goats. I stated that I didn't believe I was but after hearing her description of a "black & white" pair of goats with one being a banded male, I knew exactly what she was talking about. I told MIL that they were no longer my goats, that I had sold them to a woman two days ago and did I want to know why she was asking about them? The giggle I heard from her gave me a tiny bit of relief because my mind was working overtime about the possibilities of the question posed about if I was "missing two goats". She responded that these two goats were now impounded at the town Animal Control Shelter because they were wandering through town! I went down to look at the local dog pound and to identify these two "runaways". There was little doubt in my mind about the identity, and, of course, they were the two kids my daughter had named Prince and Princess because of their white crowns.
They were wailing first because they had been housed in a kennel next to a barking dog and second because they wanted to go home! I immediately contacted the people who had bought the goats to let them know these poor kids were now in the "slammer". The man I talked to was horrified that the goats were not only in the pound but found a way to escape the yard. Both of the new goat owners were at work but said they would figure out how to bail the goats out of the "pokey". My curiousity got the best of me and I asked, "Are you still calling them Prince and Princess?" The answer I got led me to laughing hard enough for tears to flow, he said, "Nope, we decided to change their names to Bonnie and Clyde and maybe that was a bad call on our part!" Needless to say, the kids are scheduled to be picked up and returned home. At least this Bonnie and Clyde got pinched and avoided the whole "shoot-out" scenario! They will serve their time and hopefully live a law abided life from this point on!

3 comments: