Tuesday, June 23, 2009

The Baby turns 17!


Our precious baby girl, Lindsay turned 17 on the 22nd of June. This has been a difficult birthday for her Mom. I have found myself emotional and quickly fighting tears everytime I think about her turning seventeen. Is it only because she is my baby, because she is now seventeen and that's what age I was when I met her Dad, or is it simply because I know this next year is going to fly by so quickly? I am sure it is a little of all of the above. This was our colicky baby! For the first four months of her life, I was tempted to see if the doctor could put her back where he got her. We tried everything with this poor baby but the only thing that would make her quit crying besides Dad firing up his 454 jet boat was her swing. Back in the "old days", these swings were wind-ups, not battery-operated so these parents were able to get a 15 minute nap in between cranking up the swing. This continued until she was slightly past her four month birthday. The colic did not suddenly cease, it was a gradual and slow process, but very noticeable for two exhausted parents. I can honestly say that every sleepless night was so worth the joy this girl has been to both of us. She is our sweet, easy-going girl who has the biggest heart I have ever seen. She is a true animal lover who will fight for every creature big or small. I have never seen someone so devoted to making sure orphans we have adopted were raised with the tenderest touch, no matter the sleepless nights created for her! When I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis, this was the child who would just come put her head on my shoulder and say, "Mom, are you feeling alright? Is there anything I can do for you?" I know I would be lost without this little angel of mine. She is the happy-go-luck girl who grins when I wake her in the morning to go feed baby goats and milk the does! She is thoughtful, hard-working, honest, and the strongest defender of humanity. I am such a proud Mom and no matter if she chooses her zoology path, her photography, or something none of us have envisioned for her, I pray that we will spend this next year so thankful for this family bond, remembering not take our time together for granted, and aware of the blessings we were granted 17 years ago when our pink little bundle surprised us. Our little "Drew" was suddenly Lindsay and more than we could hope for when the doc called out, "It's a girl!" This child completed this family and spent everyday bringing her family and friends joy! Happy Birthday, Lindsay! We love you so very much!

1 comment:

  1. Memory lane just gets better as they grow up because as the years pass you have more and more precious treasured memories to tuck away. Then when the grand kids come they remind you of them all over again since they so often act like your children once did. And as for empty nest, I haven't found it yet for the kids keep coming home for a visit. I'm not a pink person per say but I like it on your site. Keep writing.

    ReplyDelete