Sunday, September 20, 2009

"Bucking the system"

Last week was marked by a tough day. Robert and I had decided to try to get the fencing done for the buck pen and none to soon, either! Javar started the romance talking to his pen mates while I was cracking the whip telling hubby, "We've got to get him out of there or we're going to be bringing babies home come February because we'll have snow up to our elbows!" Of course, a little bit of my anxiety and impatience came from the excitement about bringing the new addition home. It seemed it was a day for friends to stop by and visit too, but after four hours at the corrals, Robert asked if I was ready to go get Nacho. He didn't need to ask twice. We jumped on the four wheeler and began the trek over to get Nacho. I brought him one of our collars and a leash wondering what fun I would have luring this poor goat away from his security and family. I put the collar on the boy and to my amazement, he acted as though this was an everyday occurence! We began the trot back to our pen and he happily galloped next to me only stopping occasionally to chop on a green weed.
We decided Javar and Nacho had to be put in the new pen with the new digs at the same time so no one had established dominance. Being a woman of advancing age, college-educated, experienced with animals, I must shamefully admit I had a complete blonde moment, brain-fart, moment of insanity, whatever one will call it. Breeding season is NOT the time to introduce two bucks of nearly equal size, especially when the two older does were obviously very much in season. Within two minutes of introductions, they decided to attempt to knock each other into submission. Nacho has a rounded scur on the top of his head that found a spot on Javar's head and opened up a gusher! Javar dropped to his knees, shook his head and immediately began rearing back up at Nacho! He may not be too smart but he is determined. Nothing could deter these two. I cannot see an animal suffering at all, especially in the name of building my show herd and began to feel deep guilt building. It was my fault that Javar was knocked senseless and now bleeding! Robert said, "Oh, I am not building one more barn! The paint on this one is not even dry." I weighed my options, talked to Robert, watched Javar shake the blood off his face and decided this was not meant to be. I called Anne and walked Nacho home. Javar has healed up and he enjoys our wether Prince's companionship! If we do this again, it won't be the weekthe does are ovulating, I work an extra 12 hour shift, and take on the nursing supervisor position at work. I think my emotions were already on overload but everyone seems to be happier over this decision.

1 comment:

  1. I am sorry things didn't work out. I love goats but my husband will tell you (and I have to admit) sometimes they just figure out any way to mess with the best of plans.

    It seems like we are constantly building one thing only to find it is not working and so we have to figure something else out. We still haven't figured out a hay rack that they won't tear up or waste half their hay with it.

    Speaking of February kids, I hate kidding in winter but our buck Joker pushed (more like rammed repeatedly when we weren't home) some panels in until he let some of the does out into his pasture. Apparently it was quite the wild party and so now I am looking at least a few kids the last part of February....and a fence to fix! LOL What would we do with all of our free time if we didn't have goats to keep us busy. ;-) Got to love them though.

    ReplyDelete