Thursday, October 15, 2009

Flu, flu, go away.....

I know I should be thankful for a busy work day for our little Urgent Care, but have seen so many children running dangerously high fevers and looking like walking zombies. These kids are SICK! So many positive flu tests that I see pink lines in my sleep. Our Urgent Care is one of the only clinics that still has regular influenza vaccines in Gillette but we are racing through our supply at a record pace. In 8 days, we have depleted 125 flu tests, we saw 73 patients in one 12 hour day, many leaving because it was standing room only and a three hour wait. I thank God for job security but didn't expect it to come in the form of a near pandemic. Just when we have clinical staff scheduled to handle the increased patient load, our clinic is scheduled to receive the "swine flu" nasal spray. This is an attenuated vaccination which means it is a live virus but it has been weakened. Great precautions are needed for people who get this form of vaccine. Pregnancy, children under 2, adults over 50, people with a weakened immune system are all contraindications for this vaccine. Because I regularly get IV steroids to knock out my immune system, I am being very cautious. We have a HEPA filter and a room specifically set up for the administration of our vaccinations and I will stay clear of this room. The CDC states that the transmission of the H1N1 virus by people who received the vaccine was rare. I would have prefered the term "impossible" to be used but I am thankful that I was warned. So, my blogging will be slow until.......probably February, my hope for all is to stay healthy, wash hands frequently, and don't spend too much time around crowds.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Michelle! Thanks for stopping by my blog! I can not believe how much we have in common and I have barely skimmed thru your posts. I can't wait for time to finish reading all of them. I have some sewing that has to be finished tonight.

    Both LPN's, I am not working at the present and don't want to go back at all, I have Nubians, (The one picture in the middle of your June 13th post looks EXACTLY like my 2 Nubs Saphira and daughter Ellie Mae!!) they must be kin, I have just been diagnosed with Sarcoidosis (I know it's a far cry from MS but still tough to chew for me as my lungs are full of nodules) I will pray for you! Let's see.....I have chickens too.

    Wow I love the way we can crawl right up in someones life and make friends via blogland!! I have made more friends like this than while working ;-)

    I'll be back soon!!!!
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  2. UUUUhhhhgggghhh!!! Just read your last post. You know put the cart before the horse or something like that.

    I just left a Dr's office in May when we were first starting to test for H1N1 and had no +'s before I left, just a really nasty bug mimmiking it. I have often wondered what the offices must be going thru with both flu shots.......1 was enough to drive ya crazy!! I don't even know what to tell my family about the new injection either.

    Whew, I will be thinking about you! There is a ton of flu going around here. We just picked up prescriptions at the pharmacy that was soooooo crowded and the girl at the drivethru window said there was a lot of H1N1 around here right now. Giving out Tamiflu like candy. I am staying home and hibernating for ever!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope things get better for you at work. Just curious do you recommend all children to get the H1N1 vaccine? My kids school are doing it for free and I signed them up to have it, but am now having second thoughts. It's scary to think about.

    BTW I like your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by my blog! That sounds terrible and makes me glad I can stay on the farm and away from crowds most of the time. Of course when I do get sick it is usually because my husband has brought it home to me. Where he works they expect people to work even when they are sick so it is hard to avoid! Hope you can stay healthy and don't catch the flu, I imagine that is not easy when you have to work around it!

    ReplyDelete