Friday, August 28, 2009

Buck Barn!

Well, it doesn't look like much but this is the beginning of our new buck barn. Between me going back to work as a nurse, Robert working 12 hour shifts, and the days already getting shorter, this has been a slow endeavor.
We are going to keep our two bucks in an 8X8 barn and hope this will be sufficient. I believe that this may be my husband's subtle attempt at limiting my number of bucks. I thank Anne so much for being patient and holding Nacho for us while we build this barn.
I do have to admit, it was good for me to go visit Nacho the other day. He is housed with two other bucks and they seem to enjoy the bachelor life for now, but the large, older, and more experienced buck is starting to think it's about time to put on his "cologne" and bulk up to impress the ladies. Although some may find his scent enticing, I do not, nor would anyone else with a human nose! Thank goodness that Robert had already begun this barn before I took him over to meet Nacho! He walked up and the "aroma" hit him and knocked him backwards. I guess the memory of this smell is forgotten in a mere nine years much like the lack of memory mothers experience with labor when they choose to have another child. The look in my dear husband's eye was almost as funny as the shutter that overcame his entire body. He instantly wanted to know why I wanted one of these stinky creatures, let alone two! I then explained the price, equipment involved, and success rate of artificial insemination using the experience I gained from four years of Speech and Debate. The visit with Nacho was cut short and Robert said nothing more.
I do hope that Robert takes some pride and comfort in the thought that Javar, our other buck went over to the new buck barn, examined it, and then spent a fair amount of time this morning defending his new pad from Natasha's rude, uninvited entrance through the wall instead of using the door. I think Robert gained Javar's approval but Natasha, Lyrical and the rest of the girls would like a new place, too.












3 comments:

  1. That's very cute! I'm really not interested in a buck of my own right now or I would consider sir Oliver. But thanks for letting me know. I still have to build a barn for the girls to kid in this spring so building two barns right now is out of the question. Not to mention that we only have one fenced pasture at the moment and our electric fence would not keep a buck from the does. lol I did have the thought occur to me today though that Javar is as unrelated to Rachel and Fantine is and that maybe I could use him for her. It doesn't bother me much that he is unproven since he's got such fabulous bloodlines. It's just trying to get the right combination of those bloodlines. Fantine/Javar are magnes colony and the other Rachel/Nacho are Goldthwaithe so if we mismatch the pairs hopefully we'll come out with some fabulous kids. When the kids are born in the spring I can get a better idea who throws what and what the kids' confirmations are and maybe they'll turn out as wonderful as I'm hoping. You still haven't said what you want for a stud fee though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Silly! I know Javar is American! Fantine is his sister! lol The stud fees sound good and I'd love to meet you too and bring the girls for a visit. They wont be being bred until Dec or Jan though. When they come into heat I can give you a better idea about when it should be. I'm hoping to bring them up the day they're in heat and breed them and bring them back. (knowing my luck I'll have to make two trips because they wont come into heat the same day.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK Girly here we go again.......more alike stuff.....Hubby is building me what started out to be just a small shelter for any of the goats to use while in this one field and then turned into a buck barn about like yours. It stradles the fence and has a stall on either side (my idea here) so that we have an extra stall in my other field too. You can never have enough places to seperate your animals.

    While getting this started he decided that he too needed a new Sawz-all. Not for the same reason Thank Goodness but he now sports around a new Dewalt powerhouse saw!!!!! The hotshot!!

    The funny part of this story is.........we have no buck right now!!! I need to update my posting about life on the farm. I quit talking about the goats for a while because I lost too many. I am going to look at a Nubian buck this weekend. He sounds really good but very pricey!!!! At least he is right down the road from us. The last one was a little cheaper but I had to drive 4 hours to pick him up. So it is going to be about the same.

    I'll update soon.

    ReplyDelete