Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Bitten by the Caprine bug!

My husband, who truly is one of the most easy-going, supp0rtive and kind people I have ever had the pleasure of meeting has nearly reached the end of his rope with me, so it's time for me to call it to an end. 'What are you ending?' you may ask, and I shall respond with 'my goat obsession!' Okay, "end" may be a little overly dramatic, "tone-down" is closer to the truth. I did talk hubby into attending the Wyoming State Fair and the goat show this last weekend and he "happily" obliged me. One good reason to attend a dairy goat show is to truly gauge what kind of lines you have, what qualities you want to intensify and which ones you need to weed out of the breeding programs. This last show was quite a wake-up call for me and a point for my husband to say, "I told you so!". I have my favorite milking doe in our little herd and he has his favorite. Needless to say, these two are not the same goat. Robert's favorite goat is the first milking doe we got and she can put out some milk. I like the shape and capacity of her udder but she is "fluffy". She definitely puts all her groceries to good use and we get asked often if she is pregnant with triplets again. Natasha is our sweet short and fat girl, but we love her. My favorite doe, Lyrical is the opitome of my idea of a dairy goat. She is tall, slender and very dainty. Her udder is nice and she milks decently, but not the quantity that Natasha puts in the bucket. I laughed the other day when my husband told me that Natasha would beat Lyrical in the show ring. I was the one who helped our kids build their show herd all those years ago and I take pride in researching the qualities that judges look for in placing the National champions. Well, obviously the judge for the goat show looks for different traits in goats than I do, but that is my point on the reason I need to keep going to these shows. Nearly every goat he put up in the top winners was in my eyes "fluffy" and slightly squatty in my humble opinion, but did have beautiful udders. I do like to see a deep chested goat, but was surprised this judge looked for "meaty" girls. I didn't say anything hoping that the dear hubby didn't notice these goats and the characteristics this judge found irresistable but of course, he waited until we were just in the vehicle on our way home before he said, "Told you that Natasha would beat Lyrical!" I truly hope it did make him feel better that he may have been right, but I still got the last laugh because during the show, I bought a purebred buck that I had my eye on for months but he already had been sold. THANK YOU SO MUCH ANNE! :) Robert will be spending this weekend building my buck shed so please send a little pity his way, he's probably going to need it. Nacho Man, we can't wait to bring you home.

3 comments:

  1. Curious, what will you do with the buck you have now? Will he be taking a trip soon? Goats come and go frequently when you are building a show herd where as mine just keep growing fluffier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOOOOOOHHHH you have a buck now?? What's his registered name?? What does he look like? what are his good points?? and what is your stud fee!?? lol

    The buck that I wanted to breed my saanen to died this summer and the one that I wanted to breed my two little nubians to got sold. grrr so I'm on a buck search again.

    You should have let me know you were coming down so I could have said hi :)

    (I didn't know you bought lyrical! She's beautiful! and you can tell hubby that she's more my idea of a good goat too! )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definetley want to use him for Fantine. I'm still deciding if I want to inbreed that far for Rachel. What are you charging for a stud fee? Since Fantine was born in April it'll be late dec or even Jan before she gets bred this year.

    ReplyDelete